Interim Executive Director
Center for Contemporary Mussar (CCM)
Description of the Position
CCM is looking for an experienced leader to serve as our Interim Executive Director (ED) to lead our organization for six months beginning immediately. This is a part-time, 6-month position that could lead to a more permanent position.
Overview of CCM
Mussar is the ancient Jewish tradition of moral and ethical character development that is enjoying a rebirth in the 21st Century. The Center for Contemporary Mussar has developed an approach to Mussar that builds on the work of previous generations, and takes a contemporary philosophical and psychological approach. The Center’s founding board launched itself in 2017 and the teachings are based on the work of Rabbi Ira Stone and Dr. Beulah Trey. We have developed a curriculum grounded in text study, individual practice and vaad work (group work). We currently have 20 teachers who teach our materials around the country through synagogue and other auspices. We also have materials and texts that we mostly share internally.
After 5 years, we are ready to hire our first executive director, but want a seasoned professional to guide us as we position ourselves and our future ED for success. The board completed a strategic planning process in 2021 and is looking for professional guidance to help CCM define its ongoing mission and structure. We have a board of six volunteers, as well as 5 consultants who work part-time.
CCM is in a time of transition in which we are rethinking our operations and methodology going forward. We need a seasoned non-profit leader to shepherd us through the steps we need to take to emerge as a viable, sustainable organization.
Essential Role and Responsibilities
The Interim Executive Director will work closely with the board to evaluate and implement the vision, mission, goals, and strategy of CCM. The Interim ED is responsible to the Board for all aspects of CCM functioning. The Interim ED will collaborate with the Board to reach a shared assessment of a clear and shared vision of CCM’s next stage under new leadership and perhaps with a new permanent ED.
The Interim ED work will include:
1. Day-to-day oversight of the functions of the organization.
2. Lead CCM’s communications strategy and serve as a public spokesperson, as needed.
3. Assist the board in an organizational assessment and in facilitating the next stage of its strategic planning to ascertain the organization’s viability and sustainability, including potential strategic partners.
4. Oversee consultants performing assessments of CCM’s teaching, materials, and written communications, including its website.
5. Conduct outreach to key stakeholders and advise the board and staff on building confidence about the organization’s new direction.
6. Make specific organizational changes to CCM’s administrative functions that will be helpful in transitioning to a permanent ED or another organizational structure
Job Qualifications for Interim ED
1. Prior non-profit executive leadership experience in budget planning, operations, HR management and managing contractors, and working with boards
2. A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience
3. Evidence of business acumen, creativity, and strategic thinking
4. Skills in synthesizing complex issues and effective communication with diverse stakeholders
5. Demonstrated interest in Mussar, Jewish spirituality, or Jewish education
Location: CCM is located in Philadelphia, PA, but the Interim ED would be expected to work remotely
FTE: half-time, .5 FTE
Position term: anticipated six months
Start Date: Immediately
Reports to: Board President
Compensation is commensurate with skills and educational experience, with the FTE of $80,000 to $85,000.
To apply please send resume and cover letter to [email protected].